Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Podcast Episode 12: The Other Side of the Hedge


The Other Side of the Hedge, by E.M. Forster

This is a story I read in high school in my Honors Mythology class, though how it was tied in with the other themes in the class, I no longer remember. It is either about the futility of the pursuit of progress, the importance of enjoying the simple pleasures in life, or the nature of life and death. Or some other thing. It's a beautiful, weird little story.


Notes:
At last, no more introductions! I swear I thought I'd abandoned them long before this. To be fair, there are lots of other episodes (which are readings of material that is more or less obviously still copyrighted) that I produced besides the twelve I've archived here on the blog, many of which came after this point and likely had no introductions, but still. My memory of having abandoned introductions earlier certainly proved unfounded.

Okay, so it's got a tiny introduction, where I refer to myself in the third person like I'm reading you an audiobook you bought off a rack in the gas station. I thought I was so cool.

I'm fond of the things the narrator lists as examples of human advancement: radium, the Transvaal War, and Christian Science. I wonder how many of these Forster thought of as a joke. Probably all of them.

The music in the middle sounds really tossed off, like I felt like I'd established that my podcasts have music, but I didn't feel inspired to create something that actually worked in the story. I think that's the case in a number of places. I'm still very fond of the music in the other E.M. Forster story I recorded.


Photo Source

No comments:

Post a Comment